THE ELIMINATE PROJECT
Kiwanis’ current global campaign for children, The Eliminate Project: Kiwanis eliminating maternal/neonatal tetanus, (www.TheEliminateProject.org) aims to raise $110 million and save the lives of a 129 million mothers and their future babies. In partnership with UNICEF, Kiwanis is committing by 2015 to eliminating maternal/neonatal tetanus, a disease that kills one baby every nine minutes. By targeting this disease, Kiwanis will not only save lives but also pave the way for other interventions that will boost maternal health and child survival among the poorest, most underserved women and children in the world.
- What is Eliminate? A five (5) year campaign with UNICEF and Kiwanis beginning in 2011 to raise $110 million dollars to rid 37 countries of maternal neonatal tetanus. Unicef started this campaign in 2000 when there were 57 countries that were plagued with the disease. They asked Kiwanis to join them to rid the remaining 37 countries.
- What is Neonatal Tetanus? A disease that kills newborn babies within 10 days of birth with extreme pain and suffering where the baby cannot be touched and is left to die.
- How common is it? Many of the countries have a 25% or greater mortality of newborn babies.
- What is the cost? $1.80 will vaccinate a mother and her future babies against tetanus. It appears that the children born to mothers vaccinated are immune to the disease but this has yet to be proven.
- Why $110 million? There are over 100 million women in these countries that are in their child bearing years.
- Is it preventable? Yes, since they started in 2000, they have eliminated it in 34 countries; and Madagascar should be the next one as they have to wait till there are 1,000 documented births without one of them having tetanus to declare it eliminated.
- What is the TX/OK District goal? $5 million; We are at $1.7 million to date.
- What is our club’s goal? $35,250.00; We are at $6,360 to date; The goal is $750 per Kiwanian in the 5 year period; $150 a year; $12.50 a month. 80% of the money given so far to date is from 3 individuals. A Zeller is a $1,250 donation that saves 694 lives.
- What can I do? Sign up to give $25 a month for two (2) years. This plus the Zeller’s; and other donations that will be made will achieve our club goal and save lives.
To give your gift of support for this project, you can do it quickly and securely at www.TheEliminateProject.org/give. Or, you may print and submit this Pledge Form.
For more information on Project Eliminate, please contact Patrick Schibi at (580) 585-6206 or PSchibi@LNBOK.com